William D. “Bill” Moorhead III, is the senior member of Moorhead Law Firm LLC. After growing up in Melbourne, Florida, Bill attended college at the University of Georgia, graduating in 1973 with a BBA in Accounting, summa cum laude, and in 1976 with a J.D., cum laude, from the University of Georgia School of Law. Bill’s academic distinctions include: second honor graduate (salutatorian) of his graduating class at the University, outstanding accounting graduate of the University, three-year recipient of the Vasser Woolley Scholarship, then awarded to the top two entering law students, and member of the editorial board of the Georgia Law Review.
Bill began practicing law in Chattanooga, Tennessee, with Stophel, Caldwell & Heggie, in the estate planning department of the firm. He moved his practice to Southwest Georgia, the home of his wife, in November 1977, where he has resided ever since.
Bill is a member of the Georgia and Tennessee Bar Associations. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, the United States Claims Court, and the United States Tax Court. He is also a member of his local Dougherty County Bar Assocation.
Since 1985, Bill has earned the highest peer review rating of AV from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and has been listed in Who’s Who in American Law.
Bill has devoted the bulk of his career to the firm’s areas of practice. Bill’s chief professional passion consists of presenting approximately a dozen seminars per year on estate planning. He has been giving these seminars since 1991 to various organizations, including the USDA, which sponsors retirement seminars at the Albany Marine Corps Logistics Base, and the Georgia Teacher’s Retirement System. Since 1995, he has developed a niche in the field of Medicaid nursing home planning and special needs trusts, having handled over 600 such cases.
Bill’s expertise in business law is bolstered by the following experience:
- General counsel (3 years) and President (1 year) of a publicly traded financial services firm
- President of a private equity company (4 years)
- President of an NASD-member broker dealer (2 years)
- President of a commodity pool operator that launched the managed commodities program of a major regional brokerage firm (2 years)
- Counsel to an issuer in an initial public offering and numerous issuers of private placements of securities
- Counsel to investment advisory firms
Bill has also been involved in the following local community activities:
- Co-President of Deerfield-Windsor School PTO and 5-year member of the Board of Trustees
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Anchorage Inc. (10+ years)
- President, Abraham Baldwin Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution
- Chairman of Deacons (3 terms), Central Baptist Church
- Chairman of Deacons (4 terms), Calvary Baptist Church
- Chairman of Education Task Force (2 terms), Albany Chamber of Commerce
- Baseball Coach (3 years), Albany YMCA
Bill is a fitness enthusiast and maintains a rigorous exercise and health regimen. He enjoys reading and watching sporting events. Bill and his wife, Gena, have been married since 1976, and the couple has two children: John and Sali, both of whom are attorneys and are associated with Moorhead Law Firm.